Forget all the spag bol you've ever tried, this is an update to the real deal. A quick rendition perfect for weeknights or long weekend lunches.
400g Ground venison
1 Large onion diced
3 Cloves of garlic minced
1 Large carrot diced
2 Sticks of celery
2 Tbsp tomato paste
3 Bay leaf
300ml Red wine 1/2 sprig thyme
250ml Chicken or beef stock
1/4 Bunch of parsley chopped
75g Parmesan shaved
How to make it
- Heat a frying pan to a medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Fill a medium sauce pan with seasone water and bring to the boil.
- Add the onions, celery and pancetta and saute until the onions are soft.
- Add the venison, garlic, bay, thyme and a pinch of salt and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, and constantly stir for 1 minute.
- Place the pasta in the boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine and reduce by 3/4, scraping the bottom of the pan while reducing to de-glaze.
- Add the stock and reduce until almost no liquid is left.
- Mix in the chopped parsley and season to taste.
- Drain the pasta then pour in to the ragu mix.
- Mix well then plate and garnish with parmesan, cracked black pepper and olive oil.