Sichuan Pepper Venison Tartare
Venison tenderloin tartare with all of the trimmings. Sichuan pepper, Husband and Wife dressing, served and dressed with cheeky side of cucumber.
Ingredients (serves four)
70g Venison tenderloin
1 tsp Sawtooth coriander, finely sliced
1 tsp Vietnamese mint, finely sliced
1 tsp Coriander, finely sliced
10g Shallot, finely diced
11g Daikon, grated and squeezed of liquid
10g Lao Gan Ma chilli oil
2g Black pepper, ground
1g Sichuan peppercorns, toasted and ground + more for seasoning
10g Sesame oil
15g Rice wine vinegar
50g PRB light soy sauce
6g Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp Deep fried shallot
3 tbsp Creme fraiche
½ piece Scud chilli, sliced thinly
1 pinch Salt
½ piece Continental cucumber, cut into ½ cm slices on an angle
How to make it
- To make the dressing, peel the daikon back until the inner flesh is exposed. Finely grate the daikon, then use your hands to squeeze out all the excess liquid, so you are left with just the pulp.
Combine this with the chilli oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, mirin, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and black pepper. Whisk to incorporate, then set aside.
- Ensure Discovered venison tenderloin is well chilled before cutting. Use a clean, sterilised chopping board, and cut into a small dice, approximately 0.75cm by 0.75cm. Cover and chill.
- Slice the Vietnamese mint, coriander and sawtooth coriander as fine as possible.
- When you are ready to assemble your tartare, place the venison in a mixing bowl, along with 40ml of the prepared dressing, fresh herbs, scud chilli and the diced shallot. Season with a pinch of salt and some additional Sichuan pepper. Adjust seasoning to your own personal taste. Mix well to combine.
- Using a glove, squeeze out a small amount of excess dressing then place the mixture aside.
- Dollop the creme fraiche on your serving plate, and place the tartare mix on top to create a small mound. Garnish with deep fried shallot.
- Serve with cucumber slices.
Wild Venison Burger
Wild Venison Cottage Pie
Wild Venison Swedish Meatballs
Braised Venison Shoulder Dinner
Braised Wild Venison Shoulder
venison pot roast pack
Wild Venison Ragu with Pappardelle
Venison Pad Kra Pow
Thai Style Wild Venison Larb
Braised Shoulder Flatbreads