Wild Venison Burger
The guns at Social Food Project designed this burger recipe to prove once and for all that low fat and flavour can co-exist. Try a variation with blue cheese & radicchio leaves for a salty twist.
Ingredients (serves four)
400g Venison Mince
1/2 bunch Chives thinly chopped
2 large Brown onions: 1/2 thinly diced & 1 1/2 thinly sliced
1 Egg beaten
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp Dijon mustard
100ml Red wine vinegar
10g Brown raw sugar
4 Burger buns
How to make it
- Bring a frying pan to medium heat, add a splash of oil and sauté the diced onions.
- After 1 minute add the thyme and a pinch of salt.
- When the onions are soft and translucent > remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the mince, chives, bread crumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, cooked onions and a pinch
- When mixed together form 4 even patties and set aside then the fridge.
- In another frying pan heat until medium to low heat and a splash of oil and the butter.
- Sauté the sliced onions with a good pinch of salt until soft, very tender and turning brown but not burnt, for around 10 minutes.
- Add the the vinegar and sugar and reduce until the onions become sticky.
- Remove the patties from the fridge & bring a griddle or frying pan to a medium-hot heat.
- Meanwhile brush the patties with oil and a good pinch of salt on both sides.
- Place the patty in the pan and cook for 1.5 minutes, then turn. Do this one more time. Set aside to rest for 2 minutes.
- Slice the bun and place in the same pan until lightly toasted.
- Build the burger with the sticky onions and your favourite garnishes.