Venison Steak Sanga
The King (or Queen) of all drool-inducing sandwiches.
Ingredients (serves four)
1 back strap
2.5 tsp English mustard powder
4 tbsp stout
4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 egg yolks
100g mature cheddar grated
Gin pickled onions:
2 large red onions thinly sliced
200ml cider vinegar
100g white sugar
1 tsp salt
Juniper potato wedges:
4 large potatoes into wedges
1 tbsp juniper berries 2 tbsp salt flakes Olive oil
¼ cos lettuce thinly sliced
How to make it
- Place potatoes in a pot with water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cook until just soft.
- Heat some oil in the bottom of a roasting tin in the oven at 180℃
- When the potatoes are soft, drain and transfer into the hot oil, being careful not to splash yourself. Cook for about 30 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pan melt the butter, then add the mustard powder and mix until a smooth paste is formed.
- Add the stout and Worcestershire sauce, and heat until boiling.
- Add the cheese and mix until smooth.
- Take off the heat and add the egg yolks, mix and set aside.
- In a pestle and mortar or spice grinder, grind the juniper berries and then combine with the salt.
- For the pickled onions - In a small saucepan add the water, vinegar, sugar, salt and gin.
- Bring it up until it is just boiling and the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour over the onions in a small bowl and cover with cling wrap.
- Bring a thick skillet up to a medium-hot heat and drizzle with some oil.
- Pat dry the backstrap and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the skillet skin side down and cook for about 3 minutes on all four sides.
- Take off the heat and rest for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the ciabatta in half. Spread the welsh rarebit on the top half and blow torch or place under the grill until golden brown.
- Toast the bottom half and spread with mayonnaise.
- Thinly slice the rested backstrap.
- Place the cos on the base of the roll, then a layer of backstrap and onions and then top with the lid.
- Toss the wedges with juniper salt in a metal bowl.
Wild Venison Burger
Wild Venison Cottage Pie
Wild Venison Swedish Meatballs
Braised Venison Shoulder Dinner
Braised Wild Venison Shoulder
venison pot roast pack
Wild Venison Ragu with Pappardelle
Venison Pad Kra Pow
Thai Style Wild Venison Larb
Braised Shoulder Flatbreads