The old tradition of wrapping a corn tortilla around a tasty filling dates back to the Maya civilisation. These classic and delicious venison enchiladas will make you thankful that old habits die hard.
Ingredients (serves four)
Venison pot roast pack
2 brown onion finely sliced
4 cloves of garlic thinly sliced ½ bunch coriander stems sliced 3 tbsp ground cumin
3 tbsp ground coriander
3 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tins chopped tomatoes
2 tins black beans
8 tortilla wraps
2 dried red chillies
1 lime cut in half
1 litre water
Salt to taste
Dried mixed herbs
½ fine diced red onion
Dash of Olive oil
3 tbsp sour cream
Dash Tabasco sauce
1/4 bunch coriander finely sliced
How to make it
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven to medium heat and add a glug of oil.
- Seal the neck on both sides for about 2-3 minutes until brown, remove and set aside.
- Add another glug of oil to the pan then add the onion, garlic and coriander stems with a pinch of salt. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Add the ground spices and about 2 tbsp of oil and cook out for about 20-30 seconds.
- Add a splash of water and deglaze the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes and the venison.
- Add the remaining water until the venison is covered.
- Add in the lime halves and dried chillies.
- Cover with a lid and place in the oven at 160℃ and cook for 4-5 hours or until tender.
- When soft and tender remove the bone, chillies and lime.
- Using a fork and tongs flake up the meat in the pot and remove, mix well and season to taste.
- Layout the tortillas and evenly distribute the meat sauce, roll up and place in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese and dried oregano.
- Place in the oven for another 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, peel the avocado and smash with a fork, combining with the red onion, coriander & a glug of oil.
- Season with salt, tabasco and lime juice.
- Take out the enchiladas and dig in with the sour cream and guacamole.
Wild Venison Burger
Wild Venison Cottage Pie
Wild Venison Swedish Meatballs
Braised Venison Shoulder Dinner
Braised Wild Venison Shoulder
venison pot roast pack
Wild Venison Ragu with Pappardelle
Venison Pad Kra Pow
Thai Style Wild Venison Larb
Braised Shoulder Flatbreads